Review: The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid.

em terça-feira, 31 de janeiro de 2017 |
Synopsis:
Nemesis is a Diabolic. Created to protect a galactic Senator's daughter, Sidonia. The girl who has grown up by her side and who is as much as sister as a master. There's no one Nemesis wouldn't kill to keep her safe. But when the power-mad Emperor summons Sidonia to the galactic court as a hostage, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia.
She must become her.
Now one of thgalaxy's most dangerous weapons is masquerading in a world of corruption and Nemesis has to hide her true abilities or risk everything. As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns that there is something stronger than her deadly force: the one thing she's been told she doesn't have - humanity. And, amidst all the danger, action and intrigue, her humanity might be the only thing that can save her, Sidonia and the entire Empire...





Review:
Today I’m bringing you my thoughts on The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid.
“Everyone believed Diabolics were fearless, but in my earliest years, all I knew was fear.”
This book had me confused for a good while. The major aspects of this new society created by S.J. Kincaid are just thrown at you with none or little explanation, for example, every social class has a different name associated to the rank and the family they are associated with. If your belonged to the house Imperyan, like Nemesis does, you’re Nemesis nun Imperyan.
It’s just confusing when you’re faced with that for the first time. I’m just putting that out there because it’s probably the thing that annoyed me more about the book. It made The Diabolic confusing and I couldn’t wrap my head around it. For some reason, it bothered me a lot.
“It’s terrifying to realize your own decisions are shaping your destiny.”
Let’s go to the story!
The Diabolic follows the journey of Nemesis, a human genetically engineered to be faster, stronger and focused on one object alone, the person it was created to protect.
I won’t get into details, because I found this book amazing, even though it starts rather slowly.
For the first 150 pages this book was as boring as you can get them. You are told the story from Nemesis’ point of view and she doesn’t feel. The only thing she actually thinks is how to protect Sidonia (her master).
And that gets boring quite easily.
However, from the 150th page to the end the Diabolic is a roller-coaster of emotions. You see, something happens, and Nemesis is faced with feelings she just can’t get around. The rage, the guilt, the hurt…
The pacing of S.J. Kincaid gets better as the book goes on. And I admire her character development, one thing you cannot say is that her characters are one-sided.
I think this book is the typical example that ‘’a book without romance is not a book’’. And I can’t say that it wasn’t the romance that saved this book for me but it wasn’t just that, I can assure you.
“But then, I’ve always believed love is the most volatile substance in the universe. It erupts, it incinerates, and then it simply flames out. . . .”
The Diabolic is hard to explain, is so unusual… I’ve never found something like it in the market. It’s good, flawed (which is way I’m not giving it 5*) but very good.
Give it a try and don’t give up before page 200 please. You’ll find that no matter how excruciatingly painful it was at the beginning it was well worth it.

Rating: 4/5

Let me know your thoughts in the comments!!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário