| Review | Second Book on my CoHo's journey

em segunda-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2018 |

As promised, here's my thoughts on my second book by Colleen Hoover.
Quick reminder that I first read Ugly Love which I enjoyed but didn't find amazing. And then went to Confess. Why? Because I'm on a quest to understand why the internet loves Colleen Hoover's books so much!



Next on my list was Confess and gods, this book.

Related imageSynopsis: 

Auburn Reed is determined to rebuild her shattered life and she has no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to become deeply attracted to the studio’s enigmatic artist, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a chance and puts her heart in control, only to discover that Owen is hiding a huge secret. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything Auburn loves most, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it—but can she do it?


Review:



The premises of it is a bit cliché, and I can’t explain you why because spoilers, but if you read it you’ll understand. But as I’ve come to realise Colleen’s stories tend to have little twists that make them different.

In this case – and the think I liked the most – was Owen (or OMG) and his crazy idea of art.
The art!

You see confess, comes from the confessions Owen gets on his studio, from which he then chooses that ones of will be made into art. Those confessions are anonymous and hanged beneath his paintings when he has expositions.

Just totally ignoring how amazing of an idea this is, turning people’s deepest secrets into art, think about how awesome it is to have a book filled with paintings. Incredible paintings, because this had no cheap art. Confess has some serious artwork

Here’s an example:
Related image

The whole story is built around a secret (as was in Ugly Love) but this time, we are not given flashbacks to the past, just a little hint here and there and that made it more intriguing. I kept reading to understand if we would get to know how something happen. We did, and I liked, even if in the end I was left wondering what the purpose of this information was.

I really liked this book! I liked how creative it is, how the characters are built and interact with each other. But still, Collen’s writing still didn’t grip me, to simple, lacking ‘’density’’.

Here’s a splendid example of how important creativity, characters and a solid plot are for a story. I was addicted to the universe even when CoHo’s writing was putting me off.

Don’t take me wrong, this book is good I was just expecting more.

So I’m two books down on my journey to understanding the hype around Colleen Hoover, Confess was really good (not great) and Ugly Love was an okay read. I’m now at the point where I see her as a good author.

For those who don't know, Confess has been adapted to a mini series (10 episodes) that you can find online! I've seen in, not as good as the book, but a good mini show. Should I make a review on the show? Let me know in the comments!


I’ll be reading It Ends With Us next. Let’s see if I’ll be won over by Colleen Hoover’s best novel. 
Tell me in the comments your favourite CoHo's novel and I'll try to give it a read!


2 comentários:

  1. Hello!
    I'm kind of sad you didn't liked this book as much as I did. Confess was the only book I've read by Colleen Hoover but I was hooked (I still need to watch the mini series tho). I have Ugly Love and Hopeless on my shelves, I hope I like them.
    Besides It Ends With Us, wich other book haven't you read?
    Good readings.
    - Mad (http://presa-nas-palavras.blogspot.pt)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Mad, I've only read Ugly Love, Confess and It ends with us :D hope you like your reads!

    ResponderEliminar