Review | Crown of Ice | Vicki L. Weavil

em quinta-feira, 23 de novembro de 2017 |

I’d like to thank the author for kindly sending me a copy of this book.

It took me so much time to get into this book and then it was over and what will I read next? (I already have the next one so, that might be a good idea ;p)


32786586
Synopsis:Snow Queen Thyra Winther is immortal, but if she can't reassemble a shattered enchanted mirror by her eighteenth birthday she's doomed to spend eternity as a wraith. Armed with magic granted by a ruthless wizard, Thyra schemes to survive with her mind and body intact. Unencumbered by kindness, she kidnaps local boy Kai Thorsen, whose mathematical skills rival her own. Two logical minds, Thyra calculates, are better than one. With time rapidly melting away she needs all the help she can steal. A cruel lie ensnares Kai in her plan, but three missing mirror shards and Kai's childhood friend, Gerda, present more formidable obstacles. Thyra's willing to do anything – venture into uncharted lands, outwit sorcerers, or battle enchanted beasts -- to reconstruct the mirror, yet her most dangerous adversary lies within her. Touched by the warmth of a wolf pup's devotion and the fire of a young man's love, the thawing of Thyra's frozen heart could prove her ultimate undoing.


Review: 
My parents lie somewhere beneath the snow, buried with my mortal life.
This is not an easy story to get into, though it is narrator in the first person there’s quite literally a wall of ice between the reader and the main character – and you know I’m not crazy for impersonal books (my opinion you may feel differently). It’s expertly done, since the Snow Queen is as cold as ice and does not feel but made my reading hard all the same.
The thing that’s a huge ‘’no no’’ is the animal cruelty. Not from the villain – though it does pain me – but from one of the main characters. Even if he’s not psychologically stable it’s something that I don’t think it’s right and should not be portrayed as not important. Being very honest, the biggest problem I had with this book was exactly the parts where Kai is an a$% for Bae the reindeer or Thyra’s wolf.

Character development in this book is extraordinary, no character finishes in the same way it starts. Thyra comes a long way from an orphan girl to an icy queen to an extraordinary girl.

An amazing book about self-discovery and intelligence and being able to overcome obstacle using science and rational thinking. I really enjoyed reading about fantasy that touched the science and seeing that it is possible for a girl to choose her education over her lover.


Rating: 3 stars.

1 comentário: